Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

I've been searching for a job for over two years now but I've not been successful. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Question from a follower, Olamide:

"I've been searching for a job for over two years now but I've not been successful. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?"

My answer: 

"You may not be doing anything 'wrong' but could be doing things ineffectively. Start by reviewing your CV. Does it look professional? Does it do a good job of marketing you to potential employers?

Next, how effective is your job search? Are you only responding to job postings? Do you have an organized system of cold calling and follow-ups with local employers? Do you network effectively? What does the local labour market looks like for jobs in your career field? What other related jobs have you considered? If you're finding it difficult securing a particular kind of job, why not diversify to something different. At least, you'll be gaining some experience which will be an edge to you when there's opening for your desired job. We also recommend you build your confidence and sharpen your interview skills."

If you have any advice for Olamide, feel free to comment below.

Use the share buttons below to tell your friends about this forum: