As time passes, needs and wants evolved. Man seeks a better and more efficient ways to carry out tasks. The need to utilize resources efficiently stems out of the fact that resources are not available in abundance. Thus the need to maximize the available ones.
Man is a resource manager and he is also a resource. He can utilize other resources for maximum output. However, in order for him to efficiently utilize resources, he will need skills. He will need to have the ability to handle several inputs and utilize them for maximum results.
We are trained in different disciplines at our various institutions of higher learning. However, the orientation of the universities is to narrow your skills into a single aspect of existence. They call this specialization.
Notwithstanding, there is a little twist to the world that the universities envisioned. The ancient economic principle of specialization is gradually giving way for a new principle call multitasking. Employers of labour now seek for an individual with several capabilities to minimize cost and maximize output. This is where the concept of professional courses become imperative.
Professional courses allow you to delve into other areas other than the one you were taught in your university. They give you opportunity to function in other fields of human endeavor. Firms spend considerable resources in training staff in one professional discipline or the other. The trend now is, ‘the one with professional certification has an edge’. This is because firms want to achieve their ultimate goal (profit maximization)
Some professional programs you could consider
- Project management: this is one of the globally trending professional programs. It helps you to be able to be a better project manager either for your firm or your employer. The two major certifying body for this program are Project Management Institute (PMI, USA) and AXELOS (UK).
- Human relationship management: this is one of the professional certificates you could add to your CV. It prepares you for personnel management.
- Customer relationship management: this enhances your marketing skills. It exposes you to the world of marketing and sales. Every firm has something to sell to the public-either tangible or intangible.
- Health safety and environment: environmental problems have now become global concerns. Firms with environmentally friendly goods and services have friendly relationship with both local and international authorities. Safety is also a major concern to organisations. Therefore, anyone with these skills are sorted after by organisations.
There are scores of professional courses you can lay your hands on, to boost your career.
What to look out for while choosing professional courses
- Career requirements: You must consider what your career requires
- Relevance: Is the course relevant in the society? Do employers require such skills? These are some of the questions you could ask yourself.
- Certification: Ensure that you engage in courses that are recognized-courses that can be certified either locally or internationally.
- Financial requirements: You need to check your financial capability before embarking on the professional course. Some of these courses require huge amount of money for international certification.